Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Starting To Grow

The bucks I'm capturing on my trail cameras now are growing their antlers. They shed last year's antlers last winter. Deer grow a new set of antlers every spring. They are fully grown by September. This early the antlers are small and covered in velvet. Velvet is a substance with blood vessels on the developing antlers. The blood vessels deliver the blood to all parts of the antler helping it grow. Bucks are very reclusive this time of the year because they do not want to damage their growing antlers by walking through heavy brush. They lay low only coming out to feed in the open. I have my 9 cameras all over the island now documenting bucks and their antler growth. Soon the does will start dropping their fawns. It's always a nice surprise to see a newborn fawn on my trail cameras. Stay tuned for that. For now, here are pictures from my Bushnell 466 trail camera of a buck in velvet. He spotted my camera and came over to it to investigate. Deer are extremely curious creatures. Anything they see that is new in their environment they have a look. CLICK ON ANY PICTURE TO ENLARGE.





CLICK HERE FOR THE SPECS OF THE BUSHNELL 466 TRAIL CAM

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful and informative post, Martie. I would love to buy a small print of the first shot.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sharon. For some reason, when you click on the pictures in this particular post, they will not enlarge. I will try to correct that. You can use my pictures. No need to buy them, just please give me credit if you use them on the web. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Click on any picture now to enlarge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Martie, I appreciate it.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete